Tutorial for how to watch any Youtube video without ever seeing an advertisement

Roy Tremblay

Jul 16, 2017, 5:03:15 AM7/16/17
This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and also
because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will be found in a
future search for those who need it.

Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> actually wrote:
> Do you know of a similar YouTube replacement for Windows that eliminates
> all ads and allows pushbutton download of the video or audio?

Thanks to Lucifer Morningstart, here is a tested suggestion on Windows 10
1. Obtain the latest ffmpeg setup (you'll need ffprobe.exe).
http://adaptivesamples.com/how-to-install-ffmpeg-on-windows/
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/static/ffmpeg-20170711-0780ad9-win64-static.zip
Unzip ffmpeg-20170711-0780ad9-win64-static.zip & rename to "ffmpeg".
2. Obtain the latest working youtube-dl.exe (get the right one!)
From: https://youtube-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl.exe
Size: 7760634 bytes (7 MB)
SHA256: C0396D47480D7C9A14464A8E51E79993F88BD76D6BCFDB11312EFD0D88F3C5C7
This particular "youtube-dl.exe" does not require Python!
3. Make sure this particular youtube-dl.exe is up to date:
cmd> youtube-dl.exe -U
youtube-dl is up-to-date (2017.07.15)
4. Download the easy test video:
cmd> youtube-dl.exe https://youtu.be/AI5wEcWAmkg
20,750,914 Simple Usenet Tutorial-AI5wEcWAmkg.mkv
5. Try to extract the audio from the easy test video:
cmd> youtube-dl.exe -x https://youtu.be/AI5wEcWAmkg
ERROR: ffprobe or avprobe not found. Please install one.
6. Copy over your recently downloaded ffmpeg binary "ffprobe.exe":
cmd> copy c:\path\ffmpeg\bin\ffprobe.exe .\ffprobe.exe
7. Try again to extract the audio from the youtube video:
cmd> youtube-dl.exe -x https://youtu.be/AI5wEcWAmkg
7,551,857 Simple Usenet Tutorial-AI5wEcWAmkg.opus
8. Now try the harder test which was suggested by Mayayana:
cmd> youtube-dl.exe https://youtu.be/VuNIsY6JdUw
93,036,705 Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me-VuNIsY6JdUw.mkv
cmd> youtube-dl.exe -x https://youtu.be/VuNIsY6JdUw
3,779,012 Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me-VuNIsY6JdUw.opus
QED

Here are some screenshots taken just now of the "real" NewPipe application!
NewPipe 0.9.9 (36) (org.schabi.newpipe) added on Jul 2, 2017
https://newpipe.schabi.org
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.schabi.newpipe

When I installed that "real" NewPipe application on Android 4.x I was able
to download, in seconds, everything on YouTube that I tried (both video and
audio) at the touch of a button.

TEST 1: The "real" NewPipe plays video just fine:
https://s2.postimg.org/klin7q0bt/newpipe000.jpg

TEST 2: The real NewPipe extracts just audio just fine:
https://s2.postimg.org/51b9h6q7d/newpipe001.jpg
RESULTS: https://s2.postimg.org/bvlk6viuh/newpipe003.jpg

TEST 3: The real NewPipe downloads just video just fine:
https://s2.postimg.org/908h00euh/newpipe002.jpg
RESULTS: https://s2.postimg.org/en4txhhd5/newpipe004.jpg

easy testcase: https://youtu.be/AI5wEcWAmkg
hard testcase: https://youtu.be/VuNIsY6JdUw

It would be nice to get some feedback from Android users if they're
similarly successful with the "real" NewPipe app.

--
Well intentioned improvement suggestions are always welcome.

Nil

Jul 16, 2017, 9:00:08 AM7/16/17
On 16 Jul 2017, Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in
alt.comp.freeware:

> This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and
> also because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will
> be found in a future search for those who need it.

Seems like a lot of work, when I can just install Adblock Plus in
Firefox and then watch Youtube all day and never see an ad.

SC Tom

Jul 16, 2017, 1:01:04 PM7/16/17

"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> On 16 Jul 2017, Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in
> alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and
>> also because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will
>> be found in a future search for those who need it.
>
> Seems like a lot of work, when I can just install Adblock Plus in
> Firefox and then watch Youtube all day and never see an ad.

+1! If I must DL it, I like YTD. Very easy to use :-)

Shadow

Jul 16, 2017, 1:02:38 PM7/16/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:03:09 +0000 (UTC), Roy Tremblay
<rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

>This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and also
>because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will be found in a
>future search for those who need it.

>2. Obtain the latest working youtube-dl.exe (get the right one!)

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

All the other stuff is not necessary

youtube-dl -F video_URL

will give you all the available formats, for example

youtube-dl -F youtube.com/watch?v=hIA8MyOy8BU

To, download, choose a format (in this case MP4 = 18)

youtube-dl -f 18 youtube.com/watch?v=hIA8MyOy8BU

Try it and see.

You can choose video only, sound track only, or various video formats,
depending on the -F output

youtube-dl supports hundreds of sites, including www.youporn.com, and
(sorry for including a dirty site) www.facebook.com, but -F will bring
very different parameters to choose from depending on the site,which
have to be fed to the -f switch.

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

HTH
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jul 16, 2017, 2:13:00 PM7/16/17
In message <okg5su$u9r$1...@dont-email.me>, SC Tom <s...@tom.net> writes:

>"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 16 Jul 2017, Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in
>> alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and
>>> also because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will
>>> be found in a future search for those who need it.
>>
>> Seems like a lot of work, when I can just install Adblock Plus in
>> Firefox and then watch Youtube all day and never see an ad.
>
>+1! If I must DL it, I like YTD. Very easy to use :-)
[]
And DownloadHelper which - er - downloads, from more than just YouTube.

Today, I dare say more people know who starred as /The Vicar of Dibley/ than
know the name of the vicar of their local parish. - Clive Anderson, Radio
Times 15-21 January 2011.

Wolf K

Jul 16, 2017, 4:15:11 PM7/16/17
On 2017-07-16 13:00, SC Tom wrote:
> "Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 16 Jul 2017, Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in
>> alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and
>>> also because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will
>>> be found in a future search for those who need it.
>>
>> Seems like a lot of work, when I can just install Adblock Plus in
>> Firefox and then watch Youtube all day and never see an ad.
>
> +1! If I must DL it, I like YTD. Very easy to use :-)

I infer you mean YouTube Downloader, if so +1. Also Video DownLoadHelper
and Real Downloader. If one of them fails, usually one of the others
will work.

It looks like OP wants similar ease-of-use with Windows XP. AFAIK, none
of the current downloaders work with XP. Maybe older versions will, if
he can find them.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Carney-Who?

Jul 16, 2017, 5:28:41 PM7/16/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:11:26 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

What is this about commercials on youtube? I've never seen any commercials
there. I do use ad blocker. Is this why I don't see them?

SC Tom

Jul 17, 2017, 7:43:20 AM7/17/17

"Wolf K" <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
The full name is "YTD Video Downloader", made by GreenTree Applications.
I like Video Download Helper except for the watermark it imprints on the
videos if you use any other format than the default (that's after installing
the ConvertHelper files). Uninstalling the conversion files fixed that.
I haven't tried Real Downloader. Maybe next time :-)
--

SC Tom

Carney-Who?

Jul 17, 2017, 3:35:09 PM7/17/17
I'll ask again -

What's all this about commercials on youtube? I've never seen any
commercials appearing on youtube. What am I missing? Why are other people
seeing commercials?

Carney-Who?

Jul 17, 2017, 3:40:58 PM7/17/17
I use Firefox with an add-on for downloading from YouTube. I've never seen
any watermarks on what I've downloaded. This business of commercials and
watermarks is puzzeling. What - if anything, am I doing so right that none
of this nonsense exists for me?

fachrul...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 4:16:07 PM7/17/17
Agreed.. and you can install IDM to show video download button.

Wildman

Jul 17, 2017, 4:27:30 PM7/17/17
I can't answer your question because I don't see any commercials
either. It might have something to do with uBlock.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Wildman

Jul 17, 2017, 4:31:12 PM7/17/17
I was wondering the same thing about watermarks. I have used
Video DownloadHelper for a few years now and I've never seen
a watermark. Maybe the OP is using a different downloader.

Carney-Who?

Jul 17, 2017, 7:08:27 PM7/17/17
This whole thing makes no sense.

Here is just one of the pages you can use to put in a YouTube URL for some
video or other and it'll download it as MP4. It also gives you the choice
of converting it to MP3. You have to first place in the YouTube URL and
choose the MP4 download. It then goes to the 2nd page which allows you to
convert to MP3 instead of downloading the MP4.

With all the choices available, I simply cannot understand why these people
are having such a problem.

Diesel

Jul 20, 2017, 12:47:31 AM7/20/17
Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> news:fPPaB.151070$R71...@fx18.iad
Not true.
Xtreme Download manager works fine on XP, and, the version I'm using
doesn't even require SSE2 extensions. Granted, almost all computers
running XP these days more than likely does have them, but, this
particular machine was created prior to XP's existance, so, it does
not. If it wasn't for a shitload of apps/data that I haven't migrated
over, it would already be a headless linux based file server for the
network...

'My heart stopped. . . ... Ah, there it goes!' --Barney

Diesel

Jul 20, 2017, 12:47:31 AM7/20/17
"SC Tom" <s...@tom.net> news:okg5su$u9r$1...@dont-email.me Sun, 16 Jul 2017
17:00:58 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

> "Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 16 Jul 2017, Roy Tremblay <rembla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in
>> alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> This is posted here in the hopes that WinXP users can benefit and
>>> also because the Windows 10 ng isn't archived by google so it will
>>> be found in a future search for those who need it.
>>
>> Seems like a lot of work, when I can just install Adblock Plus in
>> Firefox and then watch Youtube all day and never see an ad.
>
> +1! If I must DL it, I like YTD. Very easy to use :-)

True enough, but, xtreme isn't too shabby either; and it supports
almost all streaming video/audio sites I've encountered so far. ytd
isn't (last time I checked anyway) specifically just for youtube
either, so I wanted to properly credit it as well.

And, it looks almost identical on the linux machines as it does the
windows box. ;p

URA Redneck if your dog can smoke a cigarette.

Diesel

Jul 20, 2017, 12:47:37 AM7/20/17
Carney-Who? <car...@invalidated.org>
news:1ecg9m82dtj8y.s...@40tude.net Mon, 17 Jul 2017
I've leeched a pile of videos from youtube and various other places.
I've yet to run into a watermark on any of them. It tends to avoid
the commercials as well.. including the 'embedded' breaks that can be
found with some longer videos.

Heute die Welt, Morgens das Sonnensystem!